Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Spiced Oatmeal

Great breakfast recipe from: Skinnytaste.com

Cinnamon Apple Spiced Oatmeal



Oatmeal topped with homemade apple butter, cinnamon and low fat granola.

I love starting my morning with a bowl of oatmeal, it's heart healthy comfort food in a bowl. I eat a lot of oatmeal because high cholesterol runs in the family and oatmeal is known for reducing cholesterol. In addition, it's high in fiber, a perfect way to fuel my morning.

My perfect bowl of oatmeal is all about the toppings. I love to add a combination of flavors and textures such as dried fruit, granola, nuts, cinnamon, or whatever I'm in the mood for that day. I also like to switch things up because I'm not the type of person to eat the same thing every day, so it may be pumpkin spiced oatmeal one morning, brown sugar and walnuts the next. 

When I'm not enjoying my oatmeal hot, I usually make avena, which is a delicious oatmeal smoothie, an easy on-the-go breakfast. I'm thinking a cinnamon spiced apple avena may be tomorrow's breakfast! Or what about no-cook pumpkin overnight oats in a jar... yum.

Do you have a favorite oatmeal combination? Do tell! 


Cinnamon Apple Spiced Oatmeal

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes 
Servings: 1 • Serving Size: 1 bowl • Old Points: 4 pts  Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 228.7 • Fat: 2.5 g • Protein: 5.2 g • Carb: 50.2 g • Fiber: 5.6 g 

Ingredients: 
  • 1/3 cup uncooked quick oats
  • 2 tbsp apple butter
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp low fat granola 

Directions:

Cook oatmeal in water according to package directions. Pour cooked oatmeal in a bowl and top with apple butter, granola, cinnamon. You can add a little skim milk if you like your oatmeal thinner. Enjoy!